09 September 2008

Tofu "Sandwiches"


The tofu thingies with some corn soup (and squid there in the back for the seafood eaters in the family).

What to do with tokwa (or tao kwa, if you are Thai)? This pressed soy cake has less moisture (and is therefore drier and firmer) than other forms of tofu. It is also way cheaper.

Usually, a little bit of crunch or flavor sets it up for me. When it's extremely crunchy and cooked through, I can eat it without sauce. It's a good substitute for meat in dishes. And also, it's a good substitute for fake meat that is substituted for meat in dishes. (Fake meat sucks!)

Earlier this week we were supposed to do the whole simple tofu-balsamic vinegar thing, but the lure of the garden lured. After some foraging, I came in and made a paste of lemongrass, garlic, and guava in the dikdikan and cooked it over low heat with a bit of mascobado sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.


Guava season! Peeling, before removing the seeds of this small sucka.

Meanwhile, I sliced each cake of tokwa in half. I fried them until they were adequately brown and slightly crispy. I laid these out like small sandwiches and spread the lemongrass paste on them. I then laid several leaves of kulitis on, and covered with the other half of tokwa.


It is okay to play with your food before serving it.

And on top went some malunggay leaves, arranged like a little flower. The rest of the paste went on in similarly dotty fashion. In the end, I took the oil from cooking the paste, mixed it with more soy sauce, and drizzled it on top. Drizzled sounds fancy, no?

My brother said it was a bit too garlicky for his tastes. I, on the other hand, am a screaming fan of garlic. I wish I made more paste, and just slathered the whole thing with flavor.

Popular Posts