The "takatak boys" are called onomatopoeically such because they have noisemakers in their selling boxes. These noisemakers allow them to make their presence known to the motoring (or walking) public.
If you check the video below out, you will notice that the takatak man is manipulating a pretty well-made component. Another version I've seen involves a piece of wood held down by rubber to the side of the selling box. The boys have to lift it up with their fingers and thwap it.
I mentioned them briefly here and am pretty hopeful that in the future they start selling things that I actually consume.
26 February 2009
Popular Posts
-
Arak ti basi (distilled basi ferment) and basi. It's an acquired taste. Though commonly called "sugarcane wine", I percei...
-
Kinunot-style shark. It tastes like crab, apparently. As previously mentioned, mangroves serve as a mediator between two environments (land ...
-
On a cold, damp day in San Francisco, I was sitting in a bus, hardcore fiending for some Philippine cacao. Thick, dark, not instant stuff, n...
-
Off Samar is a wonderful island called Biri. While the rest of the Philippines has a materials glut (men on bicycles selling fake DVDs aroun...