05 August 2009

Suman sa Lihiya Cart


Suman sa lihiya come in twins, tied together before cooking.

I normally only have the chance to purchase suman sa lihiya from non-roving vendors, so though I was stuffed to my esophagus, I decided to stop these kids along their way home and get a couple of servings. For 14 pesos each pair, I must say, this suman-on-the-go was superb. The sauce was freshly made, not too sweet. The street was friendly and alive.


Protective plastic over the cart, which tells us who is lord.


Kids pick a banana-leaf-wrapped pair out for me.


Preparing the ridged serving paper thing.


Cutting the string. Sometimes they use banana leaf strips for tying.


Unwinding.


Laying them out.


Cutting into bite-sized pieces.


Pouring the sauce, coconut milk cooked with raw sugar.


A barbecue stick for easy eating.

Popular Posts